I must admit I am posting this primarily for selfish reasons. Do I want you to run to your kitchen and make these tacos? Absolutely. But only if you send some my way. I have to remember this out-of-the-blue recipe I made on a busy Monday night. It’s a must-repeat.
Chipotle Bacon Black Bean Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
4 slices bacon
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp brown sugar
2-4 chipotle peppers with adobo sauce
3 T. quality salsa – Trader Joe’s Chipotle Garlic is a winner
2 cans black beans
1 1/2 c. shredded cabbage – I used green but often use red for tacos
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
the other 1/2 lime
whole wheat tortillas
avocado or guacamole
- In a bowl, toss cabbage, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can use fewer peppers for milder heat, but use all the smoky, sultry sauce – it’s invaluable. Finely dice with a sharp knife if you lack a processor.
- Fry your bacon until good and crispy; set aside to drain and chop roughly. Leave a little bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the onions to the skillet, season with cumin and salt to taste. Cook 2-3 minutes, then add brown sugar and cook a few more, until golden brown, soft and fragrant.
- Stir in black beans, pureed chipotle en adobo, bacon, salsa and lime juice. Lower heat and stir until well coated and hot.
- Serve each taco with a smear of sour cream or guacamole, a heap of sizzling spicy beans, a sprinkle of cheese and a generous crunchy topping of slaw. A little extra salsa can’t hurt, especially if you used fewer chipotles – just try not to let your taco overflow!